Thursday, July 11, 2013

THE GIRL IN THE NEOPRENE SKIRT

I am not a catty girl.



Friday night in Brooklyn, open house party for a new studio opening, hipsters and fashionable 21st century beatniks smoke their cigarettes and comment on books they've been reading outside the party occasionally dropping in to congradulate the owner or grab another drink:


in the middle of it all is the killer girl maybe 10 or 15 years older than me looking so fly in this huge ass white skirt. I spend 60% of the night trying to figure out the fabric from a non-creepy distance. Is it leather? neoprene? some new blend i've yet to hear of???!



Finally I get up the courage to go talk to her, I mean, we're all friends here, why not? We're all gathering for the same cause, we can all be in pleasant moods. The conversation went as follows

"Hey, I love your skirt, I've been looking at it from so far, is it neoprene?"

"What?"

"who makes your skirt"

"oh, it's designer" she says in a very thick French accent. 
Even a non-fashion-enthusiast would know this skirt is designer. This skirt has luxury written all over it, it's huge and glamorous and white. It's probably been the most beautiful garment I've seen in a really long time. 

"it's by a label called acne"

" I LOVE ACNE! Their stuff is amazing"

"yeah"

"My name's Mariah, what's your name?"

"_________."

now at this point, this is probably my fault, I should have picked up on the common social cues that clearly this girl did not want to be talking to me about Acne skirts and what not, but being so fashion-blinded by my affinity for this skirt, I kept on. I asked her where she worked -turned out to be a HUGE American fashion house. She then went on to tell me she doesn't hire American interns because she much prefers French ones. I tried to politely mention I had a job and wasn't looking for an internship. I weirdly tried turning the conversation around to show her I too was a fashion lover and not just some psycho. I failed miserably and then excused myself. 


I just wanted to be friends. 

Normally this would have just been a bruised ego and a moment that I could try and forget and get blushing red in the face whenever I think about it over the next few days, but the universe had another plan in store, the universe decided that I was not going to live this one down. 

Since that night of meeting Acne skirt girl, and feeling super uncool for how overly friendly I can sometimes be, I have seen this girl everywhere. I ran into her at PS1 MOMA WARM UP, I ran into her outside my job, and each time I just want to run and hide and duck for cover. Right now, Acne skirt girl on the loose, my life feels kind of like an UGLY BETTY episode. WHERE WILL SHE TURN UP NEXT?! AND WILL I BE ABLE TO KEEP MY COOL UNDER THE PRESSURE OF HER NEXT SUPER SWEET ENSEMBLE?!








HELP!




2 comments:

  1. Me too! Acne obsessing!

    Love this post and your partying in Brooklyn like a Beatnik! My fave part of nyc is Brooklyn! <3


    (='.'=)
    Lauren at adorn la femme

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha I loved this post, even though it doesn't have a happy ending, very well written. I think we've all had similar experiences, go to a fashion event, strike up a conversation with a very unfriendly person and kind of wonder wtf! Random she thought you were trying to get a job!!

    Em

    Win $100 from Manitobah!

    ReplyDelete